- Click on the arrow next to To create a new question click on the " + Create a New Question" green button (see screenshot below)
- If you click on the down arrow beside the " + Create a New Question and choose " button you can specify the question type. See the image below for the current question types available. Hover over each question type to see an example.
- A “Descriptive Text”
- Once a question has been added, you can hover over the question, click on it, and then on the top right, you can change the question type if desired.
Qualtrics has many question types available for you to use to create a powerful survey. Common question types will be listed under "Standard Questsion", such as "Multiple Choice", "Text Entry", and "Sliders". You can also use questions for other purposes, for example if you want to display informational text, you can use "Descriptive Text", or if you need to display an image, you can use "Graphic"
Additional Question Type Details
- A “Descriptive Text” question is used to provide information to participants in a header. They do not reply or answer this question.
- A “Text Entry” “Text Entry” question is a fill in the blank. When formatting the question, you can choose to make it a single line, multi-line, or essay text box (the only difference between these three is the size of the answer box), or a form with multiple questions and answer boxes.
- To add a new question, either click on the green + icon that appears on the right-hand side before and after each question when you hover over it. Alternatively, you can scroll to the bottom and click on “Create a new question”.
- Format your question by using the column on the right-hand side.
- Under Choices, choose how many answer choices you want for that question.
- Check the box next to “Automatic choices/statements/items” to see a list of popular answer choices. This will automatically input the answer choices for you. If you can’t find the answer choices you want to use, uncheck the box and type them in yourself.
- Under Answers, choose “Multiple Answers” if you want to allow the participant to choose more than one answer. Click on “More” in this section for more options.
- Under Validation Options, choose “Force Response” if you do not want to allow participants to skip questions.